– To provide an interconfessional translation of the Old Testament in Albanian, following the successful translation of the New Testament in 2007. This project is taking place with the full and authorized participation of all the churches: Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant, who are supporting our work to translate the whole Bible in a language that is understandable to today’s people and will give more opportunities to reach out to those without faith. The Bible Society realises that this project of translating the Old Testament will be a long one, but it is committed and it has the experience and the expertise to successfully finish it. The aim is to complete the project by the end of 2015 and work is progressing well thanks to our committed team of translators.
– Churches, as well as non-religious people.
– The Albanian reader will receive for the first time the Old Testament translated from Hebrew.
– After the successful translation of the New Testament the whole Bible will be available through this interconfessional translation project.
– Project preparation and Paratext training was undertaken in 2009.
– The books translated so fare: Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Ruth, Proverbs, Jonah, Susanna, Bel and the Dragon.
– Translation will proceed with the books of Psalms, Deuteronomy, Wisdom of Solomon, Job. A detailed plan is available from the ASC.
– In 2011 trial edition of Genesis, Jonah and Ruth. In 2013 trial edition of Psalms & Proverbs.
– The Bible Society will be able to improve relations with the churches and the translators will be some of the first Biblical scholars that Albania would have since the fall of communism.
– Due to the interconfessional format this project is very unique, because it is able to bring together people and churches that would normally not come together and in this way this would be an example, to the Albanian Society and the churches, of Christians working together.
– The Albanian people will be able to receive the Old Testament text in a language they understand.
– About 3,000 families have been able to read book of Genesis, Proverbs, Jonah and Ruth as trial edition and in 2013 they will be able to read the Psalms, also as a trial edition. This will provide important feedback to the translators, encourage the churches and raise the expectations of people for the complete Bible.